About Me

My photo
Seaside/Monterey, California, United States
Originally from a small town in the south, I grew up running around in the backwoods, fishing in the creeks, and chasing all sorts of critters. Now I am a proud active member of our nation's military which has given me the opportunity to travel the world and put my "hunter-gatherer" passion to practice in strange new places.

Monday, August 15, 2011

First Entry: THE Question

Hello to all of you who have decided to check out my blog. First of all thank you for your time. I know it is valuable to you. I am excited to finally start blogging about something that I truly love to talk about, which is, the lifestyle of and what it means to be a true outdoorsman. Like I said in my bio I am a serious hunter and fisherman, but I think to be a true outdoorsman one has to be more than just a harvester of the fruits of nature. Obviously protecting and being a good steward of our natural resources is equally important. But I think that one aspect of an outdoorsman's life that goes unnoticed is the ability to let our passion for the outdoors truly permeate our everyday life to the point that it affects our psyche and the manner in which we critically think and make decisions. I know that sounds like a just threw a bunch of words together so let me put it this way. Our love for hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. needs to extend beyond the weekend. We should allow our brains to function the same way they do when we are stalking a trophy whitetail as when we are filling out resumes and "scouting" for employment. I know that is probably not the best example and right now you are saying to yourself "but Aaron hunting is actually fun." I know that sometimes it is hard to make that connection. The great thing about being in the outdoors is that it allows us to get in touch with what I like to call our primal gifts. I define this term as those traits of human beings that our contemporary lifestyles have dulled or veiled in a mask of SUVs, concrete buildings, and computer screens. Our hunter-gatherer heritage is rich because every time we enjoy the outdoors it seems to bring out the best in us. So THE question I have is why can't we apply some of these primal gifts to the rest of life? I think there are many areas of our lives that can benefit from this ideology. Join me as we explore what it means to be a "Man of the Outdoors."

No comments:

Post a Comment